7 Jan 2014

Kitchen adventures : Turkey meatballs

I enjoy being in the kitchen. I enjoy cooking. I enjoy buying, no wait reading cookbooks. But I am just a normal home cook. Nothing fancy. Promise. 

I have a close network of support on Instagram (where I share a lot of my daily life) and they asked (It may have been said in jest?) we could share more of our family cooking here on the blog. Both me and hubby like cooking (this past weekend he laid on dinner for 6 adults and 2 kids!) and we are both fairly inventive experimental cooks. We do struggle with dishes for all of is to eat as M is fairly fussy!! (And our meal planning for the week with him does include fish fingers, chips and beans for him!)

So here goes my first (possibly weekly) posts of some of the things we cook in our kitchen. Now baby is a bit bigger I'm getting back into the swing of things and cooking more. 

Turkey meatballs 

As mentioned the bigger boy is fussy. He is not a fan of meat. But one type he will eat happily is mince. Therefore in the sprit of experimentation we tried turkey mince at home. We've made the meatballs a couple of time before with a mixture of chopped vegetables in (carrots, courgettes and peppers) today I tried carrot and apple. I was thinking along the lines of apple stuffing at Christmas?! Plus it being sweeter may appeal to the boy and he is a big lover of fruit. 

250g minced lean turkey mince
1 large carrot finely grated
1 apple peeled and grated
1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce (I would of used eggs but we had none! You could also try ketchup)

Mixed altogether and squished it. The nature of turkey mince means it does squish together really well. It made 10 meatballs so enough for two meals for the boy. But if making as a family meal just double the quantities.     

I rolled them into balls and cooked in the oven on 180c for about 15-20 mins until cooked through.  I cooked them in my pampered chef stoneware pan - as I know they won't stick and I won't lose half in the pan! But on a nonstick baking tray would work too. You do lose some moisture out of them therefore a pan with sides is better. 

I have also cooked them in a frying pan but I was running out to collect from school so left in oven while out. 


I served it with kids tilda rice packet (these I keep in the cupboard as quick and packed full of veg plus perfect size for M. He dislikes pasta with a passion. Makes him gag!) he also had BBQ sauce on top. 

Ta-dah. Post one of a possible series of cooking related ones. We shall see hey!? 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Oh I might try these! I normally buy meatballs but I find them not as healthy and I feel really lazy not making them! haha! But when I make them they just don't taste that great! Love the addition of apple and carrot though.

    Kerry @ Lived With Love | Parenting & Lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete